According to the Wikipedia: The Khan Academy is a non-profit educational website created in 2006 by Bangladeshi American educator Salman Khan, a graduate of MIT and Harvard Business School. The stated mission is "providing a high quality education for anyone, anywhere.
The Team behind the Khan Academy:
A small team trying our best to improve the way the world learns. Too many people around the globe don’t have access to good education materials, or they are forced to learn through a system that doesn't properly cater to their individual needs. The TEAM thinks that the technology exists today to fundamentally change this, and they're trying to build the tools and resources every student deserves. The Team believes a few great people can make a big difference; they strive to hire the very best people who are passionate, thoughtful and creative. The Team behind Khan Academy believes that it is their obligation to relentlessly focus on what the learner values, and they make every decision with the learner in mind.
Khan Academy is an organization on a mission; it is a not-for-profit with the goal of changing education for the better by providing a free world-class education for all. All of the site's resources are available to anyone. It doesn't matter if you are a student, teacher, home-schooler, principal, adult returning to the classroom after 20 years, or a friendly alien just trying to get a leg up in earthly biology. Khan Academy's materials and resources are available to you completely free of charge.
How it works for students:
- Students can make use of our extensive video library, interactive challenges, and assessments from any computer with access to the web.
- A dynamic system for getting help
- A custom profile, points, and badges to measure progress
- Coaches, parents, and teachers have unprecedented visibility into what their students are learning and doing on the Khan Academy.
- A real-time class report for all students
- Better intelligence for doing targeted interventions
- Over 4100 learning videos
- Our library of videos covers K-12 math, science topics such as biology, chemistry, and physics, and even reaches into the humanities with playlists on finance and history. Each video is a digestible chunk, approximately 10 minutes long, and especially purposed for viewing on the computer.
- Practice math at your own pace with our adaptive assessment environment. You can start at 1+1 and work your way into calculus or jump right into whatever topic needs some brushing up.
- Each problem is randomly generated, so you never run out of practice material. If you need a hint, every single problem can be broken down, step-by-step, with one click. If you need more help, you can always watch a related video.
- Every time you work on a problem or watch a video, the Khan Academy remembers what you've learned and where you're spending your time. We keep all of this data private but expose powerful statistics to each user and their coaches. You get at-a-glance information about everything you've been learning and whether or not you've been hitting your goals.
- You can drill all the way down from a bird's-eye view of your profile into each and every skill practice problem that you've ever worked on. You'll see real, hard data about your increasing mastery of math.
- The knowledge map shows all of our challenges, skills, and concepts. You can zoom in and out and pan around all the different skills and challenges, just like on a normal map. You can start working anywhere on the map, and the Khan Academy will suggest the best skills for you to work on. We'll even remind you when you need a review.
- As you zoom out of the knowledge map, you'll find our challenges, which combine the concepts from multiple smaller skills. Zooming all the way out of the map and completing all of our challenges is a sign of math mastery.
- Teachers and coaches can access all of their students' data. You can get a summary of class performance as a whole or dive into a particular student's profile to figure out exactly which topics are problematic. The class profile lets coaches glance at their dashboard and quickly figure out how to best spend their time teaching.
- We've put a lot of energy into making sure that the Khan Academy empowers teachers by giving them access to the data they would've had for years. You'll know instantly if a student is struggling in multiplying fractions...or if she hit a streak and is now far ahead of the class.
- We're full of game mechanics. As soon as you log in, you'll start earning badges and points for learning. The more you challenge yourself, the more bragging rights you'll get.
- We've heard of students spending hour after hour watching physics videos and 5th graders relentlessly tackling college-level math to earn Khan Academy badges. Some of the smaller badges are very easy, but the most legendary badges might require years of work.
Thanks for reading this post.
About SPARRSO - Space Research and Remote Sensing Organization
Bangladeshi Robots in NASA's Lunabotics Mining Competition
Sumazi.com - for better Business and Social Connect
Rushanara Ali - MP for Bethnal Green and Bow
Monica Ali and the Brick Lane
AkramKhanCompany.net - Place to Learn Dance
Forward your Business / Product to the Next Step - YOUNIVERSITY Ventures
New Facebook Apps - Home